The following logfile will show a couple of things you should do once you created your character and entered the realms of GEAS. Note that this logfile is from the view of and elf, so if you pick a different race you might start out somewhere else.

You’ll also see absolutely the same output as shown on this page. Helpful comments are in bold, your input is shown in intalic and plain text is the output you get from the game.

 The 'Tree of Life'.
 This is a famous but quite unusual inn. The air is fresh and the
 marble-tiled ground is clean. Few rowdy guests can be seen, and the
 furniture looks undamaged by brawls, which are very common in other pubs
 all around the world. The decoration looks extremely valuable and would fit
 into a palace, but in this city it's quite ordinary. In the middle of the
 room are velvet covered chairs and benches, which surround large oaken
 tables. A large sign is fixed to the northern wall behind a wooden bar. In
 one corner you notice a fireplace.
There are two obvious exits: east, up.
An energetic green-eyed female elf and a red-eyed slender male elf.

You finish your character creation and start out in the pub of Elvandar, which is one of the major capitals of this continent. Additionally to the room description you also see an exit leading to the east and up. Two elves (you don’t know them yet) are also in this pub.

Since you’re a new player, the game gave you some basic equipment until you find better stuff. The equipment includes some money, a magic ring, shirt and trousers.

You hear a cracking sound from the fireplace as the flames consume a large
piece of wood.
The energetic green-eyed female elf smiles happily.
The red-eyed slender male elf smiles thoughtfully.
The energetic green-eyed female elf says in common language: Welcome to my
Inn!

This place seems to have a fireplace. Might be useful later in case you have to light something. Anyway, one of the elves welcomed you so they must be friendly. You decide to find out their names. In order to do so you introduce yourself first. But know that no everyone will tell you his or her name.

>introduce me
You introduce yourself as: Armedil.
The red-eyed slender male elf introduces himself as: Negoteratul the bard.
The energetic green-eyed female elf introduces herself as: Shannara the
Innkeeper.
Negoteratul nods solemnly.
Shannara nods solemnly.

So the two elves are called Shannara and Negoteratul. Once they introduced you’ll know them from this time under those names. If you decide you don’t want to know them anymore, you can simple “forget” them. You also can “remember” them under a different name, too.

Well, the room description is no longer on your telnet window and you’ll want to see again where you are. So you decide to see what’s in here and type “l” or “look”.

>l
 The 'Tree of Life'.
 This is a famous but quite unusual inn. The air is fresh and the
 marble-tiled ground is clean. Few rowdy guests can be seen, and the
 furniture looks undamaged by brawls, which are very common in other pubs
 all around the world. The decoration looks extremely valuable and would fit
 into a palace, but in this city it's quite ordinary. In the middle of the
 room are velvet covered chairs and benches, which surround large oaken
 tables. A large sign is fixed to the northern wall behind a wooden bar. In
 one corner you notice a fireplace.
There are two obvious exits: east, up.
Negoteratul and Shannara.

Alright, first let’s see what you are carrying. To do so, you type “i”. It is the abbreviation of “inventory”.

>i
You are wearing a pair of linen trousers, a plain ring and a woolen black
shirt.
  You are carrying eight bronze coins, four copper coins and four silver
  coins.

You know you are carrying some stuff, but how do you find out more about it? Well, simply look at it. You can do so either by typing “look at trousers” or “examine trousers”. “exa” would be the shortcut for “examine”.

>exa trousers
A pair of white linen trousers.
It is in prime condition.
>exa shirt
A fine-made woolen black shirt.
It is in prime condition.

That’s interesting. As next step we try to remove and wear again the shirt.

>remove shirt
You remove the black shirt.
>wear shirt
You wear the black shirt on your torso, abdomen, left arm and right arm.

Earlier the room description mentioned a sign in here. Let’s see what it has to say. To do so, you can either “look at” it (“exa”) or you can try to “read” it.

Negoteratul smiles thoughtfully.
>read sign

    /~\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
   {   }-------------------------------------------}
   {\_/                                           /
   {*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}~
   {*           Welcome to the                 *}
   {*        E X C H A N G E   I N N           *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*  Drinks:                                 *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*  Water (Crystalspring)          6cc      *}
   {*  Milk                           2bc      *}
   {*  Applejuice                     2bc      *}
   {*  Treehugger (Elvenspecial!)     8bc      *}
   {*  Liquor (Imported from                   *}
   {*          Arborea)               9bc      *}
   {*  Beer (Elven Brew)              4bc      *}
   {*  Wine                           7bc      *}
More: line 17 -- <cr>, q, # --

As you can see the sign lists available drinks and food you can buy here. Since the sign uses up more lines than your telnet window can display, it pauses after 17 lines. To continue scrolling just hit the “return” key of your keyboard.

   {*                                          *}
   {*  Food:                                   *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*  Chopped Dwarfs                          *}
   {*  (Baked Potatoes from the       3bc      *}
   {*   Underground)                           *}
   {*  Elven Stew                     4bc      *}
   {*  Fried Fish                     9bc      *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*  For Adventurers in hurry:               *}
   {*  Ration                         2bc      *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*                                          *}
   {*  We wish you a nice day in Elvandar!     *}
  _{*                                          *}
/ \}*                                          *}
\_/*                                          */
More: line 34 -- <cr>, q, # --
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[END]

Now as you know what you can buy here, you decide to buy a ration in case you get hungry.

buy ration
Here you are! You are given a tasty looking ration.
>eat ration
It's too much for you.
You eat nothing.

Looks like the ration was bigger than your hunger. You were obviously not very hungry, so you didn’t eat it.

>l
 The 'Tree of Life'.
 This is a famous but quite unusual inn. The air is fresh and the
 marble-tiled ground is clean. Few rowdy guests can be seen, and the
 furniture looks undamaged by brawls, which are very common in other pubs
 all around the world. The decoration looks extremely valuable and would fit
 into a palace, but in this city it's quite ordinary. In the middle of the
 room are velvet covered chairs and benches, which surround large oaken
 tables. A large sign is fixed to the northern wall behind a wooden bar. In
 one corner you notice a fireplace.
There are two obvious exits: east, up.
Farmar, Negoteratul and Shannara.

>exa shannara
Shannara is an energetic green-eyed female elf.
She has green eyes.
She has long white hair.
She is of normal height and skinny for an elf.
She looks attractive.
She is in good shape.
She is extremely alert.
>You hear a cracking sound from the fireplace as the flames consume a large
piece of wood.

You look at the elf Shannara and look around a final time and then you decide to leave the pub. In order to do so you type “e” (abbreviation of “east”) and walk out.

e
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the western part of the market place of Elvandar. The ground is
 paved with jade plates and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. Some statues decorate the western border
 of the market while large trees grow here, which provide shade during the
 day and give shelter against wind and rain. Next to the trees you notice
 the sales counter of a tobacco merchant. To the west you can see the
 entrance to a pub.
There are six obvious exits: north, northeast, east, southeast, south,
A pointy-eared old male elf.

After you leave a room you immediately enter the next one, in this case a part of the market place. Since you left east, the pub is logically west of where you are now. If you would walk west you would be back at where you were before.

Whenever you walk into another room, the game automatically displays its room description and everyone and everything (unless it’s hidden or invisible) in the same area. Here you see only another elf, though.

>The pointy-eared old male elf smiles slightly.
se
You travel a short distance southeast.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southern part of the market place of Elvandar. The ground is
 paved with jade plates, and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. In the center of this market square a
 wonderful fountain showing a golden moon spills water into a basin.
 Humanoid statues line the southern border of the market place and some
 trees grow here. The place extends to the north, east and west while a
 broad road starts to the south.
There are six obvious exits: north, northeast, east, south[r], west,
northwest.

Stop! What is that? It says there is a fountain here. Fountains are very important since you can drink there for free. Also rivers and lakes often times enable you to drink as much as you want. You decide to use the opportunity and drink.

>drink water from fountain
You feel great delight by drinking as much as you can from the fountain.

Of course you want to know now if you’re still thirsty. To find out, you have to use an very essential command in this game: “vitals”. Vitals lists you all important statistics about your current health conditions and some more necessary information. So you type “vitals” and see…

>vitals
_____________________________________________________________________
_____________________________/ VITALS \______________________________

 ENCUMBERANCE : You are encumbered with 2% weight and 0% volume of your
                maximum capacity.
 HUNGER/THIRST: You are completely full and you can't drink another drop.
 INTOXICATION : You are sober.
 MAINHAND     : You are right handed.
 TEMPERATURE  : You feel well in this cool place.
 HEALTH       : You are physically feeling very well and mentally worn down.
                You are somewhat alert.
                You have no critical wounds.
_____________________________________________________________________
___________________/ See also: 'stats' and 'hp' \____________________

According to this example you are encumbered with only 2% of your maximum capacity of carrying weight. That’s good, since this means you are basically unencumbered. With increasing encumberance you need more fatigue while travelling or fighting, you become slower in combat and suffer some more penalties.

You are also completely full and not thirsty at all. This is also good, since you can die of hunger and thirst. Luckily it takes a long time to start to suffer from hunger and thirst and you get plenty of warnings before you take damage.

Currently you are also not drunk. To be drunk has several effects, but affects mainly your ability to communicate.

Your main hand is the right one. This means fighting with a weapon in your left hand gives you a malus on the likelihood of hitting your enemy.

The temperature right now is ok, but a little cool for your taste. But nothing to worry about.

You have no physical wounds, but mentally you are quite tired. You are also somewhat alert, which means you are nearly entirely rested. Should you become exhausted you might not be able to walk for a while.

And last but not least: You have no critical wounds so far. Critical wounds heal slower than normal wounds and can start to bleed again.

>hp
You are physically feeling very well and mentally worn down.
You are somewhat alert.

The command “hp” is basically a short version of “vitals”. It tells you only your wounds, mental condition and fatigue.

>i
You are wearing a pair of linen trousers, a plain ring and a woolen black
shirt.
  You are carrying a tasty looking ration, four copper coins, four silver
  coins and six bronze coins.
>w
You travel a short distance west.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southwestern corner of the market place of Elvandar. The ground
 is paved with jade plates and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. Several trees grow here and marble statues
 line the southern and western border of the market, which extends to the
 north and east.
There are four obvious exits: north, northeast, east, west.

>w
You travel a very short distance west.
 In the weaponry of Elvandar.
 This is a circular room with ebony-paneled walls. Many different weapons
 are exhibited in showcases all over the place, but they are mostly for
 decorative use only. The useable weapons are all stored on wooden shelves
 behind a large polished basalt block which serves as counter. A small sign
 is fixed to the wall.
There is one obvious exit: east.
A slender agile male elf.
>The slender agile male elf stares into space.
introduce me
You introduce yourself as: Armedil.
The slender agile male elf introduces himself as: Canaris the shopkeeper.

If you read the room description you surely have noticed you just entered a shop. In this case a weapon shop. Since the world is full of mean people, you decide to buy something sharp. To get a list of the available goods in a shop, simply type “list”.

>list
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|No. |Item                                   |Amount| Price                 |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|#  1|leather quiver                         |     5|             6 bc  3 cc|
|#  2|battleaxe                              |     3| 1 gc 15 sc 10 bc 14 cc|
|#  3|hand axe                               |     1|       8 sc  5 bc 10 cc|
|#  4|iron knife                             |     1|       5 sc  7 bc 15 cc|
|#  5|elvish longbow                         |     6| 4 gc 13 sc  5 bc  8 cc|
|#  6|long halberd                           |     2| 1 gc  6 sc  9 bc 13 cc|
|#  7|long pike                              |     3| 1 gc  1 sc 11 bc 10 cc|
|#  8|rider lance                            |     6|       4 sc 14 bc  9 cc|
|#  9|broadsword                             |     2|      14 sc 15 bc  1 cc|
|# 10|steel longsword                        |     2| 1 gc        3 bc 15 cc|
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[END]

The first column tell you the index number of the various goods. So instead of “buy leather quiver” you can type “buy #1″. The second column displays the name of the item. The third column shows how many items of a type are available. The last column tells you how much the item costs. In case you have a trading skill, you might actually pay less than the shopkeeper wants you to pay in the beginning.

buy #4
Canaris tells you in common language: You don't have enough money. Buy less
or leave my shop.

Unfortunately you don’t have enough money to pay for the knife. So you leave and go looking for some coins.

>e
You travel a very short distance east.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southwestern corner of the market place of Elvandar. The ground
 is paved with jade plates and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. Several trees grow here and marble statues
 line the southern and western border of the market, which extends to the
 north and east.
There are four obvious exits: north, northeast, east, west.
e
You travel a short distance east.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southern part of the market place of Elvandar. The ground is
 paved with jade plates, and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. In the center of this market square a
 wonderful fountain showing a golden moon spills water into a basin.
 Humanoid statues line the southern border of the market place and some
 trees grow here. The place extends to the north, east and west while a
 broad road starts to the south.
There are six obvious exits: north, northeast, east, south[r], west,
northwest.
>w
You travel a short distance west.
 This is the southwestern corner of the market place of Elvandar. The ground
 is paved with jade plates and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. Several trees grow here and marble statues
 line the southern and western border of the market, which extends to the
 north and east.
There are four obvious exits: north, northeast, east, west.
A gold coin.
>take coin
You take a gold coin.

Now this was luck! Someone seems to have lost a gold coin here. Quickly you “take” (you can also use “get”) it and head back to the shop.

>w
You travel a very short distance west.
 In the weaponry of Elvandar.
 This is a circular room with ebony-paneled walls. Many different weapons
 are exhibited in showcases all over the place, but they are mostly for
 decorative use only. The useable weapons are all stored on wooden shelves
 behind a large polished basalt block which serves as counter. A small sign
 is fixed to the wall.
There is one obvious exit: east.
Canaris.
>buy #4
Canaris tells you in common language: You bought an iron knife for 6 silver
coins and 8 copper coins, 10% sales tax already added.
>Canaris tells you in common language: Ahh, I think you cheated me!
Canaris tells you in common language: You are a very sneaky trader!
Canaris smiles melodramatically.

Now you’re armed. It might not be a mighty weapon, but it is a start.

e
You travel a short distance east.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southwestern corner of the market place of Elvandar. The ground
 is paved with jade plates and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. Several trees grow here and marble statues
 line the southern and western border of the market, which extends to the
 north and east.
There are four obvious exits: north, northeast, east, west.
>e
You travel a short distance east.
 The market place of Elvandar.
 This is the southern part of the market place of Elvandar. The ground is
 paved with jade plates, and all around you can see shops and people who
 offer various wares or services. In the center of this market square a
 wonderful fountain showing a golden moon spills water into a basin.
 Humanoid statues line the southern border of the market place and some
 trees grow here. The place extends to the north, east and west while a
 broad road starts to the south.
There are six obvious exits: north, northeast, east, south[r], west,
northwest.
>s
You travel a short distance south.
 Southern market road of Elvandar.
 Paved with polished granite tiles, this road leads north to the market
 place of Elvandar, while to the east and west the backsides of several
 buildings tower up. Very far to the north two colourful shining towers rise
 up to the sky.
There are two obvious exits: north[r], south[r].
>s
You travel a short distance south.
 Southern market road of Elvandar.
 Paved with polished granite tiles, this road leads north to the market
 place of Elvandar. To the south the street meets a crossing and to the east
 and west the backsides of several buildings tower up. Very far to the north
 two colourful shining towers rise up to the sky.
There are two obvious exits: north[r], south[r].
s
You travel a short distance south.
 Southern crossing in Elvandar.
 In the center of this crossing, a wonderful fountain showing a golden sun
 spills water into a basin. Far to the north is the bustling city market
 place, while to the south it is possible to leave the city. A Circle Road
 starts to the east and west, while in the distance to the north, two
 colourful shining towers rise up to the sky.
There are four obvious exits: north[r], east[r], south[r], west[r].
A philosophical willowy female elf.
>The philosopical willowy female elf gives you a sheet of paper.
The philosopical willowy female elf tells you in common language: Please
read this. It might be important.
The philosopical willowy female elf smiles friendly at you.

Interesting. The elf gave you a sheet of paper. You better read it and look what it says.

A citizen passes by and greets you.
read paper
You read a proclamation of the City of Elvandar:

                   WANTED

Know that the city of Elvandar is willing to pay a
bounty for each Thilden-Scalp someone brings to the
bounty office in the castle of Elvandar.

Thildens are small, but nevertheless very dangerous
creatures which attack unwary travellers in the
eastern hills. Therfore, to protect the safety of
our Queen's roads, we ask all capable adventurers to
hunt them down and bring us the proof of their
deaths.

Those who decide to heed this request shall leave
the southern citygate and head east until they
reach the slopes of the eastern hills. Then they
have to follow the northern direction until they
find a narrow trail which leads east into the
mountains.

May Taniel bless you.
The Elvandar Council

Looks like you just found your first adventure. The Elvandar council offers money for killing some marauding monsters. Since you have nothing better to do, you’ll follow the instructions of the paper and head east and then north…

 You are in an evergreen forest nestled in a secluded valley. A tall
 mountain to the west and a range of hills to the east serve as buffers
 against the worst of the elements in this northern climate, and the
 vegetation here is lush and healthy. Trees surround you, and a thick carpet
 of pine needles cushions your feet. The air is crisp and cool, and light
 filters through the branches to dapple the ground around you, making quite
 a pretty sight.
There are seven obvious exits: north, east, southeast, south,
southwest, west, northwest.
A young neuter deer.
The young neuter deer stalks south.
>l
 You are in an evergreen forest nestled in a secluded valley. A tall
 mountain to the west and a range of hills to the east serve as buffers
 against the worst of the elements in this northern climate, and the
 vegetation here is lush and healthy. Trees surround you, and a thick carpet
 of pine needles cushions your feet. The air is crisp and cool, and light
 filters through the branches to dapple the ground around you, making quite
 a pretty sight.
There are seven obvious exits: north, east, southeast, south,
southwest, west, northwest.
>e
 You are on the outskirts of a dense evergreen forest. To the north and east
 you look over rolling hills which stretch off into the distance. To the
 west and south is a sheltered valley filled with a dense evergreen forest
 and to east a narrow path leads into a gorge.
There are five obvious exits: east, south, southwest, west,
northwest.
A studded leather jacket.
A young neuter deer.
>The young neuter deer stalks northwest.
A boar charges away into the underwood, obviously fleeing something.

Someone obviously dropped a leather jacket here. Since your only protection so far is a shirt and trousers, you decide to pick it up and wear it.

take jacket
ou take a studded leather jacket.
>exa jacket
A leather jacket with studs and plates of hard-boiled leather on shoulders,
chest and arms. Soft leather covers the less exposed areas.
It is in prime condition.
>wear jacket
You wear the studded leather jacket on your torso, left arm, right arm and
abdomen.

To find out how well your body locations are protected by your armour type “armourstats”.

>armourstats
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ G E A S /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 You will fight till the enemy is dead.
_____________________________________________________________________________

 Hit location | weak_____________________Protection___________________strong
              | ....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
torso         |          +
head          | +
right leg     |  +
left leg      |  +
right arm     |          +
left arm      |          +
right hand    | +
left hand     | +
right foot    | +
left foot     | +
abdomen       |          +
neck          |         +
_____________________________________________________________________________

You also decide to wield your knife, because you never know if not some monster or bandits is hidden between the trees and you want to be prepared. To check how much damage a weapon does, type “weaponstats”.

>wield knife
You wield the knife in your right hand.
>weaponstats
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ G E A S /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 You will fight till the enemy is dead.
____________________________________________________________________________

  Weapon  | Hands | weak______________________________________________strong
          |       | ....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|....|..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
knife     |    1  |    +
______________________________________________________________________________

Prepared like that, you feel a bit safer now. You continue your travels.

>e
 Here starts a twisting, dusty trail which leads into a narrow defile
 between two mountain peaks. A thorny barrier has been erected at the head
 of the path. Leaning haphazardly against it is a crudely lettered sign
 painted on a scrap of wood, which reads DANGER.
There are two obvious exits: east, west.
A thorny barrier.
A charming delicate female elf and a slender grim-looking male elf
>The charming filigrane female elf raises her hand and greets you!
The slender grim-looking male elf raises his hand and greets you!
introduce me
You introduce yourself as: Armedil.
>The charming filigrane female elf introduces herself as: Crystalbrook .
The slender grim-looking male elf introduces himself as: Wynrayll .
Crystalbrook nods solemnly.
Wynrayll nods solemnly.
read sign
You read in capital letters: DANGER

Ok, looks like you found the lair of the Thilden. The two elves are also obviously soldiers who guard something. So you decide to ask one of them if she knows something about the Thilden.

>ask crystalbrook: danger
You ask Crystalbrook in common language: danger
>Crystalbrook nods seriously.
Crystalbrook says in common language: Yes, we keep guard here to make sure
that no
Crystalbrook says in common language: Thilden leaves their lair to the east.
Crystalbrook says in common language: If you want to hunt them, get yourself
a proclamation,
Crystalbrook says in common language: a weapon and decent armour.
Crystalbrook says in common language: These creatures might be small, but
they are also
Crystalbrook says in common language: dangerous.
nod
You nod solemnly.

This was the basic steps logfile. It included some of the most important commands of the game, but of course not nearly all of them. But if you read it carefully, you might get around easier now in the world of GEAS.